Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Wiki What?

In honor of my new status as an "online journalist," I have taken it upon myself to edit the content of one of the Web's most user-generated websites: Wikipedia. Besides being a guide to global culture, written by anyone and everyone, Wikipedia offers users a chance to literally have a say (or write a sentence) in the Internet's history book, encyclopedia, dictionary, and gossip guide all rolled into one.

After spending a lot of time working on the study produced by the Geena Davis Institute for Gender in Media, I thought it might be a good idea to check out Geena Davis's "wiki" to see what people have said about her foundation. Besides a brief mention of the name of the foundation and a one-sentence summary, there was nothing substantial included there about the recent study put out by USC's Annenberg School for Communication earlier this year.

Now, you know what has to be done...it's wiki time!

Under the section outlining Geena Davis's activism, I included a little extra information about the 2008 study put out by the Geena Davis Institute and USC Annenberg:

The Geena Davis Institute recently put out a study in collaboration with the University of Southern California's Annenberg School for Communication. The 2008 study, directed by Annenberg's Dr. Stacy Smith, shows that there are nearly 3 males to every 1 female character in the nearly 400 P, PG, PG-13, and R-Rated movies the undergraduate team of Annenberg students coded.
I also added an external link that will take the viewer directly to Annenberg's home page on the USC web site.

With one click of the mouse, I am now an official Wikipedia editor--for what that's worth. Hopefully, my contribution won't get overwritten some time in the near future.

If you're interested, check out the "Geena Davis" Wikipedia page before my edit and after my edit. Just scroll down to the section titled "Activism" to see the new additions.

No comments: